The Play Project
ACT Learning centre is pleased to announce that we have been selected to offer the Play Project under the Caregiver Mediated pillar of the MCCSS funded Ontario Autism Program. This will allow us to provide a six month course of intervention at no cost to eligible children/families.
About the Play Project
The Play Project is an evidence based, playful, practical, parent implemented program that supports the development of social interaction, play, communication and preschool based skills in children on the autism spectrum.
This program will be delivered by ACT’s trained Play Consultants over the course of six months. The Play Consultants will also be supervised and supported by one of ACT’s team of regulated health professionals (occupational therapists, speech language pathologists or developmental psychologists). The Play Consultant will provide service in your home two times a month and each month, you will receive a comprehensive Play Plan that reviews your child’s progress month over month as well as the goals and strategies for the following month.
Who is eligible for the Play Project?
- Children who are younger than 48 months
- Are registered with the Ontario Autism Program and;
- Have received a letter of invitation to receive Early Years Caregiver Mediated Supports
- Have not already participated in an MCCSS funded caregiver mediated program within the same fiscal year (April 1-March 31)
Where does ACT offer the Play Project?
Through partnerships with established autism focused practices, ACT offers The Play Project in French and English for families living in:
- Ottawa, Stormont Dundas and Glengarry, Renfrew, Prescott Russell
- Frontenac, Lennox and Addington
- Hastings, Prince Edward, Northumberland
- Haliburton, Kawartha Lakes, Peterborough
Does the Play Project work?
The Play Project has a strong evidence base and it is backed by research. Read some of the research on the Play Project.
The Play Project “is fun, easy steps to follow and an incredible way to bond with your child while helping them with their social and emotional deficits. My son who lost language at 18 months began speaking again within 2 months of implementing this type of intervention. We are forever grateful for this approach and can’t say enough great things …” – Play Project Parent
Why Choose the Play Project?
- You will receive services in your home from a highly trained Play Consultant supported by a regulated health professional
- You will learn to help your child regulate their emotions, to engage with their caregivers/play partners, to communicate and interact, and to develop play skills
- You will receive concrete strategies to help your child develop these skills
- You will receive a report that graphs your child’s progress month over month
- You will receive services from Play Consultants who have been trained by Cindy Harrison, ACT’s co-founder and speech language pathologist. Cindy is the only Master Trainer for the Play Project in Canada and she has worked with the Play Project’s founder, Dr. Rick Solomon for over 20 years.
The team at ACT Learning Centre is comprised of dedicated therapists with unique backgrounds and specialties. Our therapists collaborate with the families and each other to create a hybrid model using speech pathology, occupational therapy, physiotherapy, developmental therapies and ABA therapy, depending on the needs and diagnosis of each client. All of ACT’s services are offered in both French and English.
We are currently accepting registrations for the Play Project for families who meet the MCCSS eligibility criteria for services beginning in August 2021. If you have any questions or for more information please contact us by filling out the form below or by sending us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org and one of our intake team will contact you.
This post is also available in: French